Tuesday 4 November 2014

Reasons to write your life story

Thinking of writing an autobiography? Your life story?


Let's  think about the reasons for embarking on such project. 


1. Something for your family / friends to remember you

This is probably one of the commonest reasons. Maybe your family has even ask you to write your life story down. And/or you feel that you have something interesting to tell. 

Just imagine if you could read a book / life story written by your grandmother. I would love to read something like that. 



2. To remember a special time or special person in your life

Maybe you grew up or lived in abroad and would like to tell your experience. Or when were in Uni, or moved out, bought your first house etc. 

Maybe you would like to write about a special person in your life (alive or deceased) who meant a lot to you, this could be a life partner, a child, a parent, a friend.



3. You like writing 

You always liked writing, and this may be a good starting point. Write about the subject you know - yourself.



4.  Writing about a particular period in history

Wartime stories are usually very popular. For me this was probably the deciding factor in starting to write. I grew up in East Germany and was in Berlin the night the wall fell. The country of East Germany does not exist any more and my children will never experience it. I feel I would like to preserve a bit to them.  


5. Geneology

You have probably seen the popular TV programs (Who do you think you are) and genealogy is an increasingly common pastime. Maybe that has inspired you to write about something you discovered. And anyone who ever dabbled in genealogy knows that there is always something to be discovered. 


6. A business story

Not too common and I came across this whilst doing some research for this post. Either you have your own business, or are a partner and employee and want to write the story of your business or have been asked to write about your business



--------------

For me, it is probably a combination of almost all of those (apart from No. 6)



---------------

There are probably many more reasons why you may decide to put pen to paper. However, a word of caution. The following two reasons scream danger ... danger ... danger


1. Revenge

Husband had an affair and you want to set the record straight? Your friend betrayed you, family money problems over a bereavement.... the reasons are varied as to why you might feel upset and angry with certain people in your life. But careful.... Libel is not only a legal term, but the whole issue could potentially get more and more upsetting. 


2. Money

Ahm, honestly? Unless you are a celebrity, no-one will want to pay to read your life story. Unless you are very lucky and you have something really extraordinary to tell. 

this is, of course, not to say that you should not maybe try to publish your story and who knows... maybe you will sell copies. But money should probably not be your first motivation.


2 comments:

Red Iza said...

I would hate to write my life down, though I may have confided at one time on the net when I needed to, but I removed it all. On the other hand, I would love to have something written, a memory of my family other than oral, because so many things are often forgotten and lost for ever...

Unknown said...

I decided to write a bit down about my life growing up in East Germany as that country doesn't exist any more, and my children will never get to see it etc. But I think it will be more factual etc rather than very personal information - nothing too private LOL .

Post a Comment